Sunday, November 20, 2005

Hunters & Collectors

I ordered Hunters & Collectors Collected Works back in 1999 or 2000. At first I didn't know what to think of it. It didn't really grab me, other than the song Talking to A Stranger, so I shelved it. Every once in awhile I'd pull the CD back out again to give it another chance... I brought it to work awhile back and it's really grown on me. Every time I listen to it, it grows on me more and more.

There's something infectious about it. The lead singer, Mark Seymour, often sounds somewhat drunk (although still coherent). All of their songs are heavy on the electric bass which works very well for their music. It's like the bass gets into your skin like a set of fish hooks and pulls you along to their grooves. The bass is actually far more prominent and integral to their sound than the guitar... Their use of guitar is actually primarily as a rhythm instrument to supplement and accentuate the bass.

Their horn section, The Horns of Contempt, is pretty solid too.

Listening to this music now makes me wish I'd been born in Australia and had the chance to see these guys live before they split up (in 1998).


No comments: