Friday, November 18, 2005

The Legend of 1900 (1998)

I've read the negative and I've read the positive and I can't help but think the negative reviewers just didn't get it.

Sometimes movies are meant to make you think (often foreign and Independent films) and other times movies are meant strictly to entertain.

This movie walks a tightrope, and I feel the negative reviews are due to people both taking the film too seriously and not taking the film seriously enough.

I watched this movie for the first time, not knowing what to expect. As the end credits rolled there were tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. Within a couple weeks I went out and bought a copy of it on DVD.

Anyone I've shared this film with has thoroughly enjoyed it, they watched with no expectations and by the time the end credits were rolling much like with my first experience with this film, there were smiles on their faces and/or tears in their eyes.

If a movie can elicit such a strong emotional response, be it positive, or negative it has done its job. This movie not only did it's job it's kept me coming back for seconds, thirds, and... well you get the idea.

Tim Roth is brilliant, and while I wasn't a fan of his before this film, I certainly was afterwards. Knowing he can play vile and venomous (in Rob Roy), quirky and fun (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead), piss and vinegar (Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction) and then take a turn in an utterly sentimental role truly shows his versatility.

Ignore the naysayers and give this film a chance, you won't regret it.

No comments: