Friday, November 18, 2005

Dream Theater - Awake (1994)

I bought this album a little over four years ago, and at first it didn't grab me. But about 8 months later I gave it another listen... Not only did it grab me... it never let go!

I'm not a big fan of The Trilogy, but other than that, I LOVE the CD. From the first moments of 6:00 and the catchy Caught in a Web the CD gets briefly weaker with track 3. Although I'm not a big fan of "The Trilogy" (Erotomania, Voices, The Silent Man) I will say that technically speaking, it's fantastic, it just doesn't grab me like the rest of the CD... After "The Trilogy" comes the crunching and angry The Mirror with its infamous Puppies on Acid intro, Lie picking up right where The Mirror leaves off. The Myung-penned Lifting Shadows off a Dream (excellent lyrics), the energetic and passionate Scarred and lastly, a farewell to Kevin Moore (this was his last album before going on to pursue a solo career under the name Chroma Key) with the extremely dark and personal Space Dye Vest.

Love is an act of blood and I'm bleedingA pool in the shape of a heart
--Wow, they don't write lyrics like these any more....

Brilliant lyrics! Jordan Rudess may be a more talented keyboard player, but Moore's lyrical talent has been and continues to be missed on Dream Theater's later releases.

No comments: