Thursday, April 14, 2011

One Track Mind: Toto - I'll Be Over You (1986)


I'll Be Over You
by: Steve Lukather & Randy Goodrum

Some people live their dreams

Some people close their eyes
Some people's destiny
Passes by


There are no guarantees
There are no alibis
That's how our love must be
Don't ask why


It takes some time
God knows how long
I know that I can forget you
As soon as my heart stops breaking
Anticipating
As soon as forever is through
I'll be over you


Remember in times gone by
Promises we once made
What are the reasons why
Nothing stays the same


There were the nights
Holding you close
Someday I'll try to forget them
As soon as my heart stops breaking
Anticipating
As soon as forever is through
I'll be over you

As soon as my heart stops breaking
Anticipating
Someday I'll be over you
 As soon as my heart stops breaking
Anticipating
Someday I'll be over you
As soon as my heart...
While not as successful as 1982's mega hits Africa  & Rosanna, Toto enjoyed modest success with 1985's I'll Be Over You.  The song tugs at the heart strings a bit.  Having my heart put through the wringer a few times over the years this song has provided a comfort to me on those ocassions when the wounds of heartbreak were still fresh.  Those moments, fresh out of a relationship you didn't want to end when you don't think you'll ever feel that way again.  Most of us are familiar with these feelings.  The song has been sung millions of times with millions of different lyrics but the sentiment rings true for different people in different variations.  Some might argue there's little that sets this song apart from all of those other songs that share the same sentiments.  I'd argue there's a lot to be said for the delivery and the performance of the lyrics and that's where Toto comes through in spades.

There's a natural progression to the song where it shifts from "As soon as forever is through" to "Someday I'll be over you." that mimics the progression we go through as we get over loves lost and allow ourselves to open up to the possibility of new love.

This song has aged considerably better than some of Toto's other songs from the eighties.  Over the years the band has offered alternative arrangements of the song to keep it fresh (including a beautiful and stirring acoustic version on the 1999 tour).  Steve Lukather's soulful vocals are a perfect fit for the song.

If you've "been there" and "done that"-- chances are this song song will speak to you as well.

4 comments:

Brett said...

I never this song before. I only knew the Rosanna, Africa songs like most. But I was once in a music store and I heard this song. I just stopped and listened. I finally asked the clerk who that was and he said old Toto. It was really good. I guess that was back in their "proggier" days. The musicians in that band are amazing. Jeff Pocaro (R.I.P.) was the king of the shuffle beat.

Perplexio said...

Brett: I once read an online debate over whether Neil Peart or Jeff Porcaro was a better drummer. I believe the consensus at the end was that its an apples/oranges comparison as their styles are/were so different. Peart was/is the better technical drummer but Porcaro was the better groove drummer.

I've got all of Toto's albums and all of Steve Lukather's solo albums as well. On his 2nd solo album, Candyman he has a beautiful and moving instrumental Song For Jeff. He dedicated the album to the memory of both Jeff Porcaro and the late actor Brandon Lee who had died during the recording of the album while filming The Crow. Apparently Lukather had been friends with Lee as well.

Perplexio said...

PS: Sadly, Jeff's brother and Toto bass player, Mike Porcaro, was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Diseasse) in 2010. Toto had split up in June 2008. But Steve Lukather, David Paich, and keyboardist Steve Porcaro re-formed the band with Joseph Williams (their lead vocalist from 86-89) and brought in Nathan East to play bass to raise money for Mike and his family. His ALS has advanced to the point where he can no longer play bass so he has essentially lost his livelihood. :-( I saw Toto live in 2006. Mike was still playing with them but I heard he was playing through some pretty intense physical pain.

I also heard a story that back in the 80s Mike slipped on his way out to the stage at a concert in Germany. He got up and played through 3 songs before having to quit before the pain got too intense to continue. The doctor checked him out-- he'd broken his arm... The dude played 3 songs with a broken arm!!! Now that is some intense dedication!

Anonymous said...

Steve Lukather with the band Toto is one of the greatest musicians all time. Their songs always sound perfect to listen even in this year 2016.